Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Clarity at 30,000 Feet

I've never considered myself a "reader": I enjoy reading, and I know it's necessary in life, but reading has always been such a laborious pursuit for me. Inevitably I get tired and fall asleep after reading for 20 minutes, and I usually never recover in time to get much more reading done. Today was different, though, and it's changing my perception of myself as a non-reader.

I had a three-hour plane flight today, and in hand was a book for Organizational Behavior that's due in less than two weeks. Normally, the prospect of needing to read an entire book on top of an already inhuman mound of work would fill me with dread; today, though, way up there on that plane, I read half the book in that three-hour period. Amazing-- I don't think I've ever done anything like that before. If I could do that with all the other un- or half-read books sitting on my shelf, I might actually become...learned. Shocking.

I always get so much done while on planes. It's the only place where finding a distraction actually takes more effort than just working. It's my strategic place, where I can think about work and personal issues very clearly and where I get perspective that's so difficult to come by during the everyday rush.

I think I need my own plane. Better finish that MBA first!

No comments: